ACPI administration advocacy advocacy advocacy opinion alsa amarok apache apple apt aptitude archive audio audo authentication automount avi awk backup bash BIOS boot browser business bzip cache calendar calibre cdr cdrecord censorship commandline computerscience console convert cron cut database date debian degree design desktop development disk dpkg dvd economics education emacs email europe exim faad ffmpeg file files firefox firewall flash foss freedom ftp fun fuse git gnumeric graphics grep growisofs grub gtkpod gzip hardware hardware html icedove idiocy image imagemagick images installation ip iphone ipod iptables iso itunes ivman kde kernel keyboard knoppix lame laptop latex libreoffice linux locale lockin locking longlines lsof m4a microsoft mimetypes minitab mogrify mount mp3 mp4 mplayer multimedia music mysql network nfs nfs4 nmap openbox openfiles openoffice opinion opinion orgmode partition pdf pdftk perl php podcast politics pomodoro ports postgresql print printing privacy process programming rant remote rhythmbox rss rsync rxvt scp screengrab screenshot script scripting scsi security sed server services shell siteadmin sitenews sitesoftware skype skype slackware sound sox spam spreadsheet ssh statistics subversion sudo svk swap t23 t43 tar terminal tex text thinkpad thunderbird time timer timezone ubuntu udev upgrade usb usbmount users uuid versioncontrol vfat video vnc windows wine wordpress wordprocessing X40 xwindows xwindows youtube
Since I upgraded Thunderbird, I've been finding that when I click on a link in Thunderbird, it opens the link in Konqueror. Now, I have no problems with Konqueror - it's OK as a web browser - but my browser of choice, at the moment, is Firefox.
Firstly, because Thunderbird is a gnome application, I tried setting my preferred browser in the Gnome Control Center to Firefox. This didn't work, however, probably because I'm using KDE.
I then did:
This recommended that I use the 'Debian' option which I did. I later found that this set the Thunderbird preferences in /etc/mozilla-thunderbird/auto-config.js. This file recommened that I use update-alternatives rather than edit auto-config.js. So, far so complicated.
update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
Led to this output:
x-www-browser - status is auto. link currently points to /usr/bin/konqueror /usr/bin/konqueror - priority 100 /usr/bin/mozilla - priority 80 slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz /usr/bin/firefox - priority 70 slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz Current `best' version is /usr/bin/konqueror
So, I want to change this to firefox. so did:
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
This presented me with three options, I chose the one related to /usr/bin/firefox. Now, whenever I click on a link in Thunderbird, it is displayed in Firefox.
I too have experienced this same problem using KDE under Mandriva 2006 and no matter what I tried Thunderbird still opened Konqueror. It drove me crazy. I read your post and tried what you suggested but of course nothing helped. But it got me thinking.
From the the command prompt I did a 'set' and I noticed:
Ok, I checked that out and found a script:
if [[ -n "$KDE_FULL_SESSION" ]]; then
NEWBROWSER=`grep -m 1 'BrowserApplication=' $HOME/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals 2>/dev/null`
[[ -z "$NEWBROWSER" ]] && NEWBROWSER=`grep -m 1 'BrowserApplication=' /etc/kde/kdeglobals 2>/dev/null`
if [[ -n "$NEWBROWSER" ]]; then BROWSER=`echo $NEWBROWSER | sed -e 's/BrowserApplication=//' -e 's/!//'`
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && BROWSER=`which mozilla-firefox 2> /dev/null`
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && [[ -n "$KDE_FULL_SESSION" ]] && which kfmclient > /dev/null 2>&1 && BROWSER="kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing"
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && BROWSER=`which epiphany 2> /dev/null`
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && BROWSER=`which galeon 2> /dev/null`
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && BROWSER=`which mozilla 2> /dev/null`
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && which kfmclient > /dev/null 2>&1 && BROWSER="kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing"
[[ -z "$BROWSER" ]] && which links > /dev/null 2>&1 && BROWSER="xvt -e links"
So it's looking for mozilla-firefox, not firefox, therefore it's defaultong to konqueror. Also, I had installed firefox under the user so it sits in /home/frank/firefox. I tried symbolic links and other stuff but settled on the brute force method of adding this line to near the end of script:
# b.c.s.i. vvvvvv this line added
if [[ -n "$BROWSER" ]]; then
exec $BROWSER "$@"
echo "no web browser detected"
Thunderbird now calls firefox instead of konqueror.
From gnome there is a little program that allows you to change this. I had a similar problem with debian-sensible-browser acting a little, well, insensible ;-)
System->Preferences->Default Applications on an ubuntu system.
I have a similar problem right now because I need a mozilla-firefox package to get the embedded debian widget I am using in some code which depends on firefox which overwrites my settings pointing /usr/bin/firefox and friends to /usr/local/bin/firefox/
sometimes user friendly means proactive hacker hostile.